If you’re looking for the perfect winter escape, then book a New Zealand motorhome holiday with Wilderness Motorhomes in June to enjoy a great rate and avoid the July school holiday rush. June is a fantastic time to explore New Zealand as it marks the start of the ski season at many of our world-famous slopes. June also sees All Black games in full swing and there’s plenty more going on around the country too. Here are some great reasons to tour New Zealand in a Wilderness rental motorhome in June.
The next school holidays in New Zealand start on July 6 and run for three weeks, so travelling in June means less traffic and more availability when it comes to camp sites and activities.
The snow has started on the mountains already and many ski fields are preparing to open in June. In the North Island, Mt Ruapehu is opening its Happy Valley area on the Whakapapa side of the mountain (suitable for kids and beginners) on 2 June followed by the lower mountain on 16 June; in the South Island Mt Hutt (two hours from Christchurch) will open on 8 June, in Queenstown The Remarkables open on 9 June and Coronet Peak on 16 June, and Cardrona Alpine Resort in Wanaka also on 16 June. Remaining ski areas are scheduled to open later in June.
Winter means rugby season in New Zealand. It’s regarded as the national game and as you travel around, particularly on a Saturday, you’ll see games underway at parks and school grounds with parents and supporters lining the field. Get a real taste of New Zealand and catch our national rugby team (and current Rugby World Champions) the All Blacks as they play France in Auckland on 9 June, Wellington on 16 June and Dunedin on 23 June. Go the ABs!
There are so many other ways to enjoy June in New Zealand, here are a few more ideas…
- Wrap up warmly and blow away the cobwebs with a walk along the beautiful black sand surf beaches of Auckland’s west coast
- Indulge with a thermal soak at Rotorua’s famed Polynesian Spa or Hanmer Springs thermal resort 90 minutes north of Christchurch. The outdoor pools at Hanmer are particularly spectacular in winter, when snow surrounds the steaming water.
- Foodies will love the Winter Food and Wine Classic (1-24 June) in Hawke’s Bay, with a wide array of gourmet events held in and around this famed food and wine region. From dinners with top chefs to market visits, wine tastings and cooking demonstrations there is something to tickle every taste bud.
- Stop in at one of the many wineries dotted throughout New Zealand’s wine regions to sample a local Pinot Noir in front of a roaring fire.
- Admire (and Instagram) the snow-capped peaks of the Volcanic Plateau in the central North Island, or the Southern Alps, which stretch along much of the length of the South Island.
- Tuck up at night in your cosy Wilderness motorhome. Our fleet of rental motorhomes are designed and built in Germany for European conditions, so the milder New Zealand climate means you’ll always be warm and comfortable.
There are still some great deals to be had on Wilderness Motorhomes during June, so contact Wilderness to talk to our friendly Reservations team today, or live chat online.