Do I need a special licence to drive a Wilderness motorhome?


You can legally drive in New Zealand if you have:

  • A current driver licence from your home country — for a vehicle of the same class as our Wilderness motorhomes, or
  • An International Driving Permit (IDP).

Wilderness motorhomes come in an array of sizes — from 5.9m to 7.4m long. The shorter ones are easier to manage on the road while the lengthier ones have more internal space. Check that your licence permits you to drive a vehicle with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of up to 3,650 kg.


If you plan to use a non-English foreign licence, you’ll need an English translation — or an IDP. These must be issued from the licence issuing authority, an embassy, high commission, consulate or an approved New Zealand translation service.


Check this list of approved language translators from the Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency (NZTA). To drive legally in New Zealand, you must carry the translation or IDP as well as your original licence (not a copy).


Your licence will be valid for one year from the date you enter New Zealand. See our guide to driving a motorhome in New Zealand for more information.