Welcome to Auckland, New Zealand's biggest city and gateway to some of the best beaches, hiking, diving, and sailing in the world. Our team can't wait to meet you and set you off on your adventure.
|Address ||21 Rennie Drive, Airport Oaks, Auckland |
|Telephone ||Free Call from with New Zealand |
0508 945 337
International +64 9 2555 300
|Base hours ||8:00AM to 5:00PM |
|Earliest vehicle pick up |
Latest vehicle pick up
|Earliest vehicle drop off |
Latest vehicle drop off
|Distance from airport |
Distance from city centre
|3.9km / 2.4m |
20km / 12.4m
|Taxi fare to city centre (approx.) ||NZ$35 |
|Nearest supermarket ||Countdown |
Cnr George Bolt Drive & John Goulter Drive
|Nearest bank ||BNZ |
Tom Pearce Drive
|Visitor Information ||Tourism Auckland |
You can speed up the campervan pick up process by logging on to our online Pre Check In and entering your details before you arrive. As soon as you have arranged your flights into Auckland or your airport accommodation enter your pick up details so we can arrange your free transfer to our base. You can add optional extras and driver licence details on our Pre Check In page as well.
Once you've cleared Customs and Immigration on your arrival at Auckland international airport, chances are the first friendly face you'll see will be one of the Wilderness team. We provide complementary transfers from the airport to our Wilderness base. If you've arrived late and stopped over an airport hotel, we will collect you at convenient time and bring you to our base for the full Wilderness welcome.
When you arrive at the Wilderness base, you'll notice right away that it's different from other campervan and motorhome rental depots. There are no line ups or queues, no big desks for the team to hide behind, and no-one to break the bad news about all the extra charges that hadn't been explained prior to pick up. That's because there are none.
One of the team will spend around an hour showing you how everything works in your campervan or motorhome. Your personalised tour will give you all the confidence you need to start your road trip.
Recommended Accommodation AIRPORT
Novotel (free transfer to Wilderness base)
The only hotel in the airport precinct opened mid-2011. It's the ultimate in convenience for a short stopover in Auckland.
Sudima Hotel (free transfer to Wilderness base)
This brand new 4.5 star hotel is located just 2 minutes' drive from Auckland airport. Free airport shuttle and kids stay free.
BellaVista (free transfer to Wilderness base)
The Bella Vista Express Hotel is great value as well as comfortable and convenient. It's just 2 minutes from the airport and operates a free airport shuttle.
Jet Park (free transfer to Wilderness base)
A modern hotel with wonderful customer service just 5 minutes from the airport. Their airport shuttle is also free.
BKs Pioneer Motor Lodge (Best Western) (free transfer to Wilderness base)
The only motel with free wi-fi near Auckland Airport. Just 5 minutes from the airport and operates a free airport shuttle.
Auckland Airport Lodge (free transfer to Wilderness base)
Modern and spacious motel only 5 minutes from the airport and operates a free airport shuttle.
Hotel DeBrett's iconic building has been stylishly reinterpreted into a 25-room boutique hotel. Every room is individually designed and complemented with eclectic furniture as well as New Zealand art and photography.
These award winning serviced apartments are some of Auckland's newest. They boast larger than average rooms with all the best modern features.
A big colonial house, hostel-style, a five minute drive from the city.
Top 10 Things to Do in Auckland
Make sure you allow time to visit New Zealand’s biggest city. Here’s our team’s top 10 things to do in Auckland:
- Drive to the top of One Tree Hill for a great view over the city and surrounding harbour, then stroll through the park.
- Discover the history of New Zealand and its people at the Auckland Museum. Attend an authentic Maori show. Take a stroll in the nearby winter gardens.
- Watch a rugby game at Eden Park.
- Dine at one of the stylist restaurants or cafes on the Viaduct while watching the boats on the harbour.
- For a taste of Polynesia, visit the Otara Market.
- Take the ferry to Devonport – a quaint village on the North Shore known for its boutiques and cafes. Walk to the little Navy Museum and then take a drive to North Head.
- Visit the Sky Tower. If you feel daring, do the sky walk (192m above ground) or bungy off the top!
- For a great family experience, visit the Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World and Antarctic Centre. Meet their marine life face to face.
- Eat fish and chips on the beach at Mission Bay.
- Take a drive to the West Coast and visit Piha or Karekare for a stroll on the magnificent beach or a swim in the surf. Find the gannet colony at Muriwai.