Do I Need Campervan Rental Insurance?


When it comes to your dream New Zealand campervan holiday, the last thing you want is an unexpected incident on the road delaying you and costing you money. Campervans are expensive vehicles and accidents can happen to anyone. A loose stone can chip or crack your windscreen, another driver could reverse into your campervan, or you might hit something while parking up by the beach. Making sure you have sufficient insurance cover is the best way to protect yourself from that worry.

You’re already insured with Wilderness

At Wilderness Motorhomes, we include comprehensive insurance with every hire. The cost is built into the daily hire rate and covers you for accidental damage to the motorhome and any liability if the motorhome injures someone else or their property while you are driving it, provided you weren’t negligent or irresponsible. An excess or deductible (the amount you need to contribute towards any repairs required) of NZ$7,500 applies with this basic insurance, but you can reduce this with one of our liability reduction options.

Reduce your liability

We offer two additional insurance liability reduction options: Extra and VIP, which reduce your excess significantly for a small daily fee. The VIP Package is the best value as it reduces your liability to $0 and you receive a range of extras that will help to make your New Zealand campervan adventure even more fun. Hirers who take the VIP insurance package receive a camping table and chairs, a portable barbecue, handy guide books, snow chains and child safety seats among other things. These items can also be hired individually.

Barbecue included in a campervan rental

Travellers Neil and Sue from Cyprus toured New Zealand in a Wilderness motorhome in 2017 (read their travel blog) and found the VIP level of cover (and the extras) very helpful. “Take the maximum liability reduction option which covers quite a few extras as well as providing peace of mind in case of an accident,” recommends Neil. 

See more of New Zealand

Unlike many other campervan companies, we don’t have road restrictions, so you’re free to explore all New Zealand’s beautiful scenery, and not just the parts that you find along a sealed road. Our basic liability reduction package will cover you on conservation campsite access roads and all other named roads (sealed or unsealed).

Rental insurance for campervan stuck on a beach

Just like with your car insurance, you are taking responsible for reducing the risk of the motorhome being damaged. You won’t be covered if you go ‘off-road’ by travelling on a beach, through a river or salt water, or on a road that is in such poor condition that it damages the motorhome. Read the insurance section for more information.

On-road support from Wilderness

Our Wilderness motorhomes undergo thorough and regular maintenance checks that are well above industry standards. In the unlikely event of a breakdown, we also offer on-road assistance as part of your hire, so we can help to get you back on the road quickly.  

Protect yourself and your holiday

We recommend that you arrange your own travel insurance. This will cover you for other events such as illness, travel cancellation, delays or missed connections, lost or stolen or damaged personal items and travel documents, personal accidents and personal liability.

Set off in your campervan with peace of mind, knowing that everything is taken care of should trouble occur on the road. And that’s the best way to enjoy your New Zealand holiday!

Note: Our insurance cover is more comprehensive than most motorhome rental companies but we do recommend you read our Rental Terms and Conditions so you’re aware of any situations in which you aren't covered (exclusions).

where to go & what to do motorhoming with kids fun with friends romantic getaways